Friday, September 9, 2011

IV's and bedpans

Luckily while in Utah, none of our little family had to have a visit to the hospital.  The last two weeks we were in Utah, however, we spent a fair amount of time at a couple of hospitals with family.  Our darling and hilarious 9 year old Luke was in the hospital for a ruptured appendix and an appendectomy.  Here is a picture  during happier times earlier in the summer at his birthday party.  I don't have any pictures from the hospital because when I was there with him, he was so, so sick.  It brought tears to my eyes every time I walked into his room.  I had to pull myself together so that I didn't worry him.  I don't know how my sister did it.  She is a rock.
I was so grateful for the time we got to spend with Luke.  We had a nice walk slowly down the hall, with his little body hunched over and his hand holding the IV pole.  We are so grateful that he is home now!
While Luke was in the hospital, we had fun helping with the 3 other boys.  They slept over at my parents a few times and at my sister Erika's.  The days were full of fun activities to stay busy.  
Hiking to Doughnut Falls was perfect for a hot summer day.  It was nice and cool up Big Cottonwood Canyon, and the hike was easy enough for the girls.  Caroline walked the entire thing by herself and Olive wasn't far behind that.
Caroline still laughs when she tells people about hiking there.  She says, "It's not really REAL doughnuts falling, it's just water." (as she laughs to herself)
While not at the hospital, we also spent our time driving in style...and never taking the goggles off for the entire day.
And doing lots of sewing projects with Grandma Winegar.
We also spent time at Intermountain Medical Center with Grandma Beckstrom, Adam's sweet mom.  She was admitted to the hospital just a few days before we left, and that is where she was on the day we flew out.  After arriving back in D.C., bad news came of more cancer found in a lot more places.  Scary places.  We have felt helpless being so far away and hearing such hard news.  There have been a lot of hugs given and a lot of tears that have fallen.  
Gratefully prayer and fasts have been answered and she is home with the pain more controlled.  
The time spent at the hospital was sweet as all the grandchildren were there (baby Enoch not in the picture.)  We sat by the ginormous windows and enjoyed a sweet and simple ice cream cone that cheered everyone up.    Actually Grandma's happy attitude usually cheers anyone up, no ice cream needed.
She is a contagious optimist and such a fighter.


The Winegar's said...

WOW, what a summer, huh? The hike was easy for the girls AND for grandma. How fun was that! I'm so glad that Luke is ok. What a trooper. It's great to see that smile back on his face. That picture of Olive is hilarious! She is her own person and a delight to have around. I love it when the grandkids sit close and want to see what you are doing - the kids helping grandpa pop popcorn, me cooking and sewing. Some good bonding time. And is such a trooper. So upbeat and doesn't complain a bit. I admire that and pray for her every day.

Sarah Z said...

Holy cow! Glad to hear YOUR little family is doing well. I think the 1st pic of doughnut falls is the ONLY pic I've seen of CAroline NOT smiling! She is usually smiling from ear to ear...what a cutie!

Jill T said...

I love Olive and her goggles--she cracks me up! I'm soooooooo happy that you are back!!! Hopefully unpacked??? Please let me know if you need anything. I would love to help!