Sunday, September 25, 2011

It's not often that a brand new memorial is unveiled here in our nation's capital.  However, at the end of August, a majestic tribute to Martin Luther King, Jr. was opened.  Directly across from the Jefferson Memorial, the stones that are engraved with words of peace and justice sit right on the Tidal Basin.
The theme of the memorial is, "A Stone of Hope Cut from the Mountain of Despair."  The two stones in the foreground represent the Mountain of Despair and set forward in the Stone of Hope stands the towering frame of Dr. King.
We learned that the night before he died he gave a very prophetic speech:
"Well, I don't know what will happen now; we've got some difficult days ahead.  But it doesn't really matter
with me now, because I've been to the mountaintop.  And I don't mind.  Like anybody, I would like to live a long life- longevity has its place...I just want to do God's will.  He's allowed me to go up to the mountain.  And I've looked over; and I've seen the Promised Land.  I may not get there with you...."
I get chills all over when I read the quotes at these solemn memorials.  It is nice to have an inspirational reminder of all that these noble men have done for us.  A reminder of the huge price that was paid to get where we are today.  
Thank you Dr. King.

4 comments:

The Winegar's said...

What a beautiful memorial to Dr. King. I think if everyone would visit or read, at least, the messages on these memorials our country could be a lot better than it is. I think we have forgotten all that these great men sacrificed for our country.

Lauren Stuart and Madeline Jane said...

That's pretty cool.What a beautiful memorial. Now I will definitely have to come visit you! I talked to Stu and I'm thinking maybe just the kids and I might come visit you during the week sometime soon. I'll call you!

Lauren Stuart and Madeline Jane said...

Okay, that is too cute! Caroline TOTALLY sounds like Madeline! They both are so expressive and I love it. They would be such good friends if we lived close. Oh wait, maybe we will:)

Erin the Mom said...

What a neat thing to get to see! I especially love the pic at the end, the one of Adam and Caroline sitting in front of the beautiful lake. We love you all so much!