Monday, February 8, 2010

Many times I have been caught in the trap of thinking "When I graduate from college, life will be so much better" or "When I have a different job, everything will be great." After often thinking things like this, I heard or read some where that you need to live in the moment. Don't say "I'll be happy when..." just be happy now! That has always stuck with me over the past few years and has made me look at things differently. Sure there are things I look forward to in the future...more time with babe dad, a garbage disposal, having a dishwasher, not having to go outside to get to our washer and dryer, a real couch that will fit through a door frame, a shower that's bigger than a refrigerator box...but I love, absolutely LOVE the simplicity of life right now. I enjoy our lack of closet space because it makes it so easy to not buy more stuff. We want for nothing. I love not having money (besides loans :) because I just don't shop, or plan trips, etc. This is a new concept for me and I was nervous about the very tight budget. It's opened my eyes a lot though. We are keeping it simple and it's nice and very refreshing.
I also love this quote that a friend recently sent me:
Author Anna Quindlen reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments. She said: 'The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less.'

7 comments:

The Winegar's said...

I'm with Mrs. Quindlan. I too had the next project, clean the house, etc. In doing that I hope that you children didn't suffer. Now I, too, try to live each moment to the fullest. Good post!!

Adam B said...

I am glad that you are happy in our present situation love. I know that it is a lot of work, but I am loving the experience with you! Thanks for all you do for our little family.

Halley said...

Thank you for your thoughts. I totally agree, life is too too precious to let pass us by. It is something I can definitely work on. By the way, we need to catch up!

cuzimmom said...

Amen. I was watching Chy yesterday play with Grandma the Great. They were playing "beauty parlor" and it made me kind of sad....Chy is a little girl now, not a baby any more. So.....you need to bring Olive out this way so we can do baby again!! Love you guys & miss you alot!

Gardner's said...

man, after today I really needed to read this. I was feeling a bit overwhelmed and in need of a break!! Thanks for changing my attitude!

Morgan said...

I love this...and this talk by President Monson: http://www.lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-947-26,00.html.

Such an important concept.

Blake said...

Thanks for keeping us up to date. We wish we could come visit again soon. You guys ate at the same restaurant that Adam, Gae, and I ate at when we went to Maine. (I remember that poster about RATS). What memories...We love you guys LOTS!