Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I have never really liked to cook or bake. (I have liked baking a bit more because I love sweets!) I do love to eat, but I had the attitude that there was no time to spend cooking, it took too long. Well, it's been really fun being married and having someone to cook/bake with! I think that was my problem, I LOVE being with people and cooking was lonely. Adam and I decided to try to bake this incredible dessert that we tasted at a party my mom had. It is an Australian dessert named after a Russian princess....Pavlova. It is divine! We thought it looked hard to make, but we didn't anticipate trying it out 4 times. The first attempt just stayed in liquid form. We did everything wrong that you could while making meringue..we fished out egg shell with our fingers, we used a plastic bowl, a drop of egg yolk was in the egg whites, the egg whites were cold. After reading how to do it, we were laughing so hard because we checked off everything on the list that you shouldn't do!
Here is our 3rd try...at 2 o'clock in the morning

Ahh..the finished product. It was worth coating the entire kitchen in sugar, going through 36 eggs, and doing lots of research about meringue!

10 comments:

Holly said...

It looks beautiful. Eric and I both love cooking and baking. It is definately more fun when you're making something to share though.

Ann Marie said...

That looks fantastic! I'm going to get that recipe from you some time. And I totally agree, it is so much more fun cooking together rather than alone. Cleaning too!

Abs and Me said...

Looks delicious!!! You two did a great job! Even if it did take multiple tries!

Here And Happy! said...

All I can say is....divine, divine, divine! Worth all 36 eggs. I'm gonna cook that too when I grow up. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Persistence pays off. I'm glad that you brought it Sun. It WAS divine. MMmmmm Now that you know how to make it, it won't be such an issue. It's fun and glad that you have Adam to help. You're a great team.

Corinne said...

Thanks for all the trouble you went through to make it--it was delicious! You have to assume that if it is named after a princess that it would be a high maintenance dessert!

Britters and Parx said...

oh my gosh that looks HEAVENLY!!! Can I have a bite? How did you scrapbook night go on Monday? Let me know if you have one of those again...I'm actually in the process of printing my blog. What a pain!!

cuzimmom said...

Adam, remember, your favorite aunt jan's b-day is coming soon.........It has to be healthy with all the fruit, right?

ClancyPants said...

LOVE Pavlova... mmmmm....

LOVE that you tried 4 times in one day!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! That is one awesome post you've got there, my friend.

The Hilton Family~ said...

You were able to change your background! I love it! That dessert looks amazing!! You and Adam Make a great team:)